Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week 2 - Journaling


Journal writing during the second week of school is the main forum for creative writing in my class. It’s important for kids to have the opportunity to write informally. When they write in their journals their entire focus is on the thoughts going through their minds on the topic. They shouldn’t let grammar rules and other writing conventions bog them down. The process should be enjoyable, not tedious. I want my students to get used to the idea of capturing their free flowing thoughts on paper.

I teach third grade and at this age the kids need a lot of guidance when it comes to writing. I put up a topic, and provide leading questions to spur their thinking.  During journal writing time I make it clear to my students that they are to be thinking and writing the entire time (usually about eight minutes).

This is the plan for the week coming up:

Tuesday: Describe what your Labor Day weekend was like. Tell about:

  1. A place you went to;
  2. An activity you did;
  3. A meal you ate;
  4. A person or people you saw

I discuss the topic and clarify that a place is anywhere outside their house. The grocery store, the park, the beach, downtown, the shopping mall, a relative’s house, the pool, the movies, etc., are all places. This quickly eliminates the but, I didn’t go anywhere excuse! An activity means reading, TV, movies, playing a game, shopping, etc.

A topic like this at the start of the school week is a great way to build a community spirit. Before I ask them to share their writing, I tell them about my weekend. They see me in more human terms and I get to know them better.

Wednesday: What are some of your favorite summer activities?

After eight minutes I ask for volunteers to share. As each student shares their favorite summer activity I write their idea on the board in a concise sentence that they articulate after creative prompting from me. I think this is a golden opportunity to model strong sentences.

When each new idea is presented I ask the student to vary the sentence by using appropriate verbs for the specific activity.

Eg. I like going to the pool on hot days.
I enjoy walking my dog in the park.
Lemonade is a way for me to cool down.

After taking about six ideas I ask the kids to choose two ideas to copy in their journals. I am a firm believer that in copying good writing, kids develop their own writing skills.


Thursday: Qualities of a Good Friend

Think about what you like in a friend. For each quality that you come up with write a sentence.

After 8 minutes students share their writing. Again I model sentences on the board, prompting them to vary each sentence.

Examples:

A good friend is someone you can trust.
I like a friend who cheers you up when you are sad.
A quality I like in a friend is kindness.

To conclude the session I ask the kids to choose two ideas from the board and copy them in their journals.


Friday: This Week

On Fridays I have the kids reflect on their week. I tell them to write in their journals about:

  1. Something they learned at school;
  2. Something they enjoyed – either at school or at home or wherever;
  3. Something they didn’t enjoy.

A discussion after they write helps them realize just how much they learned, and is a wonderful way to bring closure to the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment